License to Carry (LTC) Information
License to Carry (LTC) was formally known as the Concealed Handgun License (CHL).
We offer LTC classes several times each month. If our scheduled dates don’t work for you, get a group of at least 4 people to take this class together, and we will try to schedule a private class for your group!
This is for experienced shooters only! The LTC Class is NOT a training class. The LTC Class has a required shooting qualification where you must demonstrate your proficiency. Students are expected to have basic gun-handling skills and the ability to clear malfunctions. Firearm safety must be demonstrated at all times.
Overview of this Course
Texas DPS requires an original (first-time) LTC applicant to complete four to six hours of classroom training, pass a written examination and pass a proficiency demonstration (shooting). LTC Instructors at Shady Oaks Gun Range are certified and approved by DPS to provide this course. Upon successful completion of the training class, the instructor will provide you with a Certificate (Form-100). This form must be submitted to DPS to complete your application for the LTC License.
Check Your Eligibility
To qualify for a Texas LTC you must:
- Be at least 21 years old. (Members of the armed forces must be at least 18.)
- Have a clean criminal history, including military service and recent juvenile records.
- Not be under a protective order.
- Not be chemically dependent.
- Not be delinquent in paying fines, fees, child support, etc.
- Be of sound mind.
- Be eligible to purchase a handgun by completing the NICS check.
- Complete required training.
If you have questions concerning your eligibility, you may contact the DPS helpline at (512) 424-7293 or email them at: email@example.com
Application (Part 1 of 3)
Complete and submit your LTC Application online.
You can complete your application first or you can take the class first. The order of completion is not important.
Fingerprint Appointment (Part 2 of 3)
Schedule a Finger Print Appointment. Walk-in service is not available. Fingerprints must be obtained from an approved location contracted by DPS. More information can be found on the DPS website:
LTC Class (Part 3 of 3)
Mandatory Course Topics
There are four (4) required topics: Use of Force, Non-Violent Dispute Resolution, Handgun Use, and Safe and Proper Storage of Handguns and Ammunition.
- It is required that each applicant take a written test that consists of 25 questions multiple choice and true/false questions.
- A score of 70% is required to pass the classroom portion of class
- It is required that each applicant participate in 50 round course of fire scoring a 70% or better to pass the range portion of class.
- .32 caliber and higher Revolver or Semi-Auto is acceptable for qualification
- Military Range Qualification Record is acceptable. Must be dated within 5 years from date of application
- The shooting qualification is fired at three distances: 20 rounds @ 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds @ 15 yards.
Course Completion Certificate
Once you have completed the required class hours, we will give you a certificate to be sent to TXDPS for processing. You have one year from the date of your application to complete your fingerprint appointment and submit your Class Completion Certificate. Your Class Completion Certificate is valid for two years after your LTC class.
Required for this class
- TX drivers license
- Handgun of your choice (Rentals available if needed)
- 50 rounds of ammunition (Available for purchase if needed)
- Hearing and eye protection (Available for purchase if needed)
- Hat and closed-toed shoes (recommended)