License to Carry (LTC) Information
License to Carry (LTC) was formally known as the Concealed Handgun License (CHL). The name was changed in 2016 when Texas passed “Open Carry” for license holders. In 2021, Texas passed “Permitless Carry” also called “Constitutional Carry,” but there are still many benefits to obtaining your Texas License to Carry.
Please understand that the LTC Class is for experienced shooters. If you have never handled a firearm, you must get handgun training prior to completing the range qualification. You don’t need to be an expert marksman, but you absolutely must demonstrate a basic level of safety at all times. You must keep your finger off the trigger when not shooting. You must be aware of where your muzzle is pointed at all times. You must be able to load and unload your firearm by yourself.
There are TWO options for completing the LTC requirements.
Option A: In-Person
Take the classroom portion in-person and complete the range qualification same day. This option is $100 and is scheduled for six (6) hours from start to finish. It is mainly composed of classroom lecture, written test, and range qualification test. After successful completion, you will leave the class with a Certificate of Training LTC-100 which you must submit to DPS. You can sign up for the License to Carry (LTC) Class on our website class calendar.
Option B: Online Class & In-Person Range
Step One: Complete the Online Class
Complete the classroom portion online at OnlineTexasLTC.com/ShadyOaks for $60 (or you may complete it with another authorized provider). The online classroom portion can be completed from the comfort of your home and at your own pace.
When you have successfully completed the online class, your online instructor will give you a Certificate of Training LTC-101. Make an appointment with a LTC Instructor to complete the range portion.
Step Two: Complete the In-Person Range Portion
Make arrangements with a LTC instructor to complete Part B (Range Instruction) and Part C (Proficiency Demonstration) in-person. To schedule this time at Shady Oaks Gun Range, you have two options:
- GROUP CLASS (for experienced shooters) – If you are confident and experienced with your firearm, you may want to sign up for Online LTC Range Class ($45) to complete Part B and Part C of the Texas Online LTC. The class provides an opportunity to ask questions from your LTC classroom portion, and it includes a brief lecture on firearm safety and range etiquette. There is also a review of what to expect during the range qualification and next steps for your LTC.
- This is for students who can operate their firearm independently and will need little to no coaching.
- This class generally consists of 10 people on the line all shooting at the same time under the direction of the LTC instructor.
- You must be able to demonstrate safety and competence at all times.
- PRIVATE CLASS (for less experienced shooters) – If you are apprehensive about completing the range qualification in a group class environment, make an appointment for a Private Lesson ($60/hour) with a LTC Instructor.
- This is one hour of one-to-one private instruction which is customized for your skill level. Many folks are able to complete their LTC Range Qualification during this time.
- Depending on your skill level, it may take more than one lesson before you’re ready to complete the qualification. Talk to your instructor about a plan that will work best for you.
INFO FOR ALL LTC APPLICANTS
The Texas License to Carry (LTC) is a license that is obtained from Texas Department of Public Safety.
STEP ONE: Determine if you’re eligible by reviewing Licensing & Registration Information. Texas law provides for some discounts if you meet certain special conditions.
STEP TWO: Submit an application online. After you start you application, you can also use this link to check the status of your application. You have one year from the date of your LTC application to submit your fingerprints and submit your Certificate of Training.
STEP THREE: Complete the Texas License to Carry Class and receive a Certificate of Training from the instructor. This is either the LTC-100 for the in-person class or the LTC-101 for the online class. Scan your Certificate of Training into PDF format and submit supporting documents.
STEP FOUR: Follow Fingerprinting instructions which will be sent to you AFTER you submit your LTC Application. The emailed instructions will direct you to schedule a fingerprint appointment at IdentoGO using a link in your confirmation email. You must refer to that email for fingerprint instructions. Walk-in service is not available at DPS.
If you need further assistance from DPS regarding obtaining the License to Carry, you can contact the Regulatory Services Division (RSD) using the contact form at www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/.
LTC Class Lecture
Regardless whether you take the in-person class or the online class, the topics are the same. The required material discusses these topics:
- Laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force
- Handgun use & safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly-carried handguns
- Non-violent dispute resolution
- Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child
There is also a written test that consists of 25 questions which are multiple choice and true/false questions. A score of 70% is required to pass the classroom portion of the class.
LTC Range Qualification
The LTC Range course of fire can be found on the DPS website at
- You will be shooting 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds at 15 yards.
- Optical enhancers such as lasers, red dot sites, or scopes, are not permitted.
- Effective Sept. 1, 2017 – There is no minimum caliber requirement of the handgun used to demonstrate proficiency.
- You are not required to use your compact “carry” firearm for this range qualification. Most folks use a full-size firearm. (Remember you’ll be shooting 50 rounds.)
TAKE A LESSON TO LEARN BASIC HANDGUN
SIGN-UP FOR LTC CLASS OR RANGE QUAL