Shady Oaks Gun Range Firearms Instructor – David Hartney
- NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
- NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Message from David:
I was introduced to firearms in my late teens with a few friends of mine. The first thing I ever had the joy of shooting was a compact 1911. I had no idea what I was doing but much like riding a motorcycle, the thrill was something I couldn’t pass up. I lived in California at the time, so firearms weren’t and still aren’t very popular where I lived. When I moved to Texas in 2010 and met my now wife, I was introduced to my father-in-law who was heavily into guns and firearms of all sorts due to being a retired Police Officer.
Our common interest has fueled my passion for firearms and wanting to teach people that although they may be scary and you should respect them, they are a pleasure to shoot and have fun with. I always thought of a gun as being a self defense tool, but have been introduced and exposed to the many groups of people (i.e. Girl and a Gun) whose passion is teaching proper use and care of firearms. This has sparked my new interest in teaching the masses that with proper care and respect, shooting can be one of the most rewarding sports you can get into.
I purchased my first firearm in 2017 and have never looked back. Let’s spark each other’s passions for the shooting sports and learn to use them safely and effectively.
David’s Advice for Beginners:
- 1) The four gun safety rules are words to live by. Know them, preach them, live them.
- 2) It’s best to learn the basics and fundamentals of shooting with a small caliber, such as a .22LR. Once you have some experience, we can move to other calibers that you may feel comfortable with. It’s best to use as many firearms as you can before you buy to understand what works best for you and fit’s your hands the best. There is no one size fits all when it comes to firearms.
- 3) The most successful students start with a full size firearm. When practicing fundamentals, remember size and weight are your friend! These tend to be easier to control and give you the best results. Once you have mastered a full size firearm and concealed carry is your goal, move onto a smaller, snappier firearm.
Book a Private Lesson
David is available for one-on-one private lessons for PISTOL. Availability is highlighted on the calendar below. Book your appointment today!
If you can’t find availability with David, our other staff instructors post their availability here.