- This event has passed.
License To Carry (LTC) Class
Saturday, October 15 @ 8:00 am - 2:00 pm$100.00
License To Carry (LTC) Class
Instructor: Victoria Kogan
Max Class Size: 10 students
After successful completion of this class, you will receive a Certificate of Training (LTC-100). This is the full LTC Class with both the classroom portion AND the range proficiency demonstration. The class is scheduled for six hours from start to finish.
Please understand that the LTC Class is for experienced shooters. If you have never handled a firearm, it is your responsibility to get handgun training prior to taking the LTC class. You don’t need to be an expert marksman, but you absolutely must demonstrate a basic level of safety at all times. You must keep your finger off the trigger when not shooting. You must be aware of where your muzzle is pointed at all times. You must be able to operate your firearm independently and know how to work through simple malfunctions. LTC students should be able to demonstrate COMPETENCE and CONFIDENCE with their gun handling.
- You must know how to safely use your firearm
- You must be able to load your magazines by yourself (speedloader is okay)
- You must be able to clear simple malfunctions
- You must be knowledgeable of general safety rules
All firearms must be in a bag or case when you arrive for check-in. Firearms and magazines should be UNLOADED. All loading/unloading of the firearm and magazine will be done as a group on the range.
Bring to class:
- Your Texas drivers license
- Handgun of your choice (Rentals available if needed)
- You only need one magazine if using a semi-auto
- 50 rounds of ammunition (Sold on site if needed)
- Safety gear – hearing and eye protection (Sold on site if needed)
- Must wear closed-toed shoes (range rule requirement)
- Snacks and beverages (We do not take a “lunch” break — bring a sandwich, snack, beverage, etc. for a working lunch during class.)
- If you have never visited Shady Oaks Gun Range before, please bring this completed form with you: Shady Oaks Gun Range Rules, Questionnaire & Liability Release Form (or the form is available at check-in.)
The classroom portion of the LTC course is required to include:
- Module 1 (approx. 2 hours) ‐ Laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force
- Module 2 (approx. 1.5 hours) ‐ Handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns
- Module 3 (approx. 45 min) ‐ Non‐violent dispute resolution
- Module 4 (approx. 45 min) ‐ Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child
Please note: The LTC class is not a class to teach you how to shoot. This is a class for experienced shooters to demonstrate a basic level of safety and competence.
It is required that each applicant take a written test that consists of 25 questions multiple choice and true/false questions. A score of 70% is required to pass the classroom portion of class. The test does not have “trick” questions, and the questions are reasonably clear. Simply paying attention in class should be sufficient to successfully answer the test questions.
The course of fire can be found on the Texas DPS website at: texreg.sos.state.tx.us/fids/201700716-1.pdf
Optical enhancers such as lasers, red dot sites, or scopes, are not permitted by Texas DPS when qualifying.
Effective Sept. 1, 2017 – There is no minimum caliber requirement of the handgun used to demonstrate proficiency. (You can use .22LR!)
Please note: You are not required to use your “carry” firearm for this range qualification. Most folks use a full-size firearm.
Also, you only need one magazine. The shooting portion is generally split into strings of 5 rounds each with plenty of time to reload between strings.
Certificate of Training
Once you have completed the LTC Class requirements, the instructor will give you a Certificate of Training. It is your responsibility to submit your Certificate of Training to TXDPS for processing. Your Class Completion Certificate is valid for two years after your LTC class.
Next Steps to getting your LTC
Once you start your LTC application, you have one year to submit your documentation. You will also need to submit fingerprints, but you cannot get that scheduled until AFTER you have started your LTC application, Regardless if you “have fingerprints on file,” you will be required to schedule a fingerprint appointment for your LTC. DPS will send you a link for scheduling AFTER you submit your application. You must have fingerprints done within one year of submitting your LTC application.
Sign up to reserve your spot in this class. To do this, add a number in the field below, click “add to cart” and proceed to checkout. The name used for the class reservation does not need to match the name on the LTC paperwork — Signing up for the class simply guarantees you a seat in the class.
If you fail to provide 24-hours notice of cancellation or are a no-show for the class, a portion of your class fee may be non-refundable. Our terms for this are detailed here: https://www.shadyoaksgunrange.com/terms/