- This event has passed.
Introduction to AR-15 Class – Mike Young
Tuesday, February 23 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm$100
Introduction to AR-15 Class
Instructor: Mike Young
This is a small class, capped at 5 people so each student gets individual instruction and plenty of range time. Bring your own AR-15 to develop familiarly and skills with your rifle. If you don’t have an AR-15, we will have loaners available; however, please understand you may have to share. It’s highly recommended you bring your own if you have one.
This course is designed for new or inexperienced shooters needing familiarization training. Class provides the shooter with a solid grounding in the core skills and fundamentals to safely control, handle and operate the AR-15. Become educated about the AR-15, and don’t be mislead by ignorant statements floating around in the media.
This class will give you a solid foundation with your AR-15 rifle.
– Firearms Safety
– Marksmanship Fundamentals
– Loading & Unloading
– AR-15 rifle (loaners available on a very limited basis – no extra charge)
– 20 rounds of ammo (if you use our loaner firearm, you are required to purchase our range ammo, this is an extra fee)
– Appropriate range attire (no open-toed shoes)
– Eye protection and hearing protection (can be provided but it’s always better to have your own personal items)
– You must bring a valid, photo ID
– If you have never visited Shady Oaks Gun Range before, please bring this completed form with you:
Shady Oaks Gun Range Rules, Questionnaire & Liability Release Form (copies available at check-in)
- The “AR” in “AR-15” stands for ArmaLite, the company that developed the rifle. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”
- The AR-15 rifle is NOT an “assault rifle.” An assault rifle is fully automatic like a machine gun, and automatic firearms are severely restricted from civilian ownership.
- AR-15 rifles can look like military (automatic) rifles such as the M-16, but by law, they function the same as any other semiautomatic firearm — only one round is fired with each pull of the trigger.
- The AR-15 can be chambered in a variety of calibers such as .22 LR, .223, 5.56, .308, and others. They can also be available in pistol calibers such as 9mm. There are even .410 shotgun versions.
- AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber.
- Anyone who calls the AR-15 style rifle an “assault weapon” is wrong. The AR-15 is designated by ATF as a “modern sporting rifle.” Don’t be misled by inflammatory statements which push a specific political agenda.
Sign up to reserve your spot in this class. To do this, add a number in the field below, click “add to cart” and proceed to checkout.
The online booking system will accept sign-ups until the day before the class. After that time, you may call us at 512-394-7734 and inquire if there is availability for walk-ins.